Monday 19 November 2012

Thing 22

Variation of wartime poster of man pointing finger accusingly
Your library needs you by Phil Bradley
on Flickr (made available under the
Creative Commons licence)
On reflection I feel that volunteering has been and still is a very important part of my life, both professionally and socially (see my earlier post for Thing 21).  

Before I managed to secure a job as a library assistant I undertook a period of voluntary work in the library of a local primary school in order to gain some experience of working in a library setting.

Later when looking to move forward in my career I volunteered to help with numerous public library events and activities around the district, which included anything from serving the refreshments at author talks to helping to coordinate all-day youth workshops and reading fairs. These opportunities enabled me to work alongside librarians and other professional working the public library sector. and on reflection I believe that they allowed me to gain invaluable experience in how to run successful events. 

Subsequently I was extremely lucky in that I managed to secure paid temporary employment as an assistant librarian whilst still studying for my LIS degree. Fortunately this temporary post turned into something more permanent but I am convinced that this due in a big way to my flexibility and eagerness to learn, skills which I have developed as part of my volunteering.

I believe that volunteering is a good thing and under the right circumstances can have great benefits for both the volunteer and the employer. However it is important to remember that "volunteer" is not just another word for free labour. Within the library sector I believe there is a place for both the volunteer and professional librarian but it is important to remember that these two distinct roles should not be confused when evaluating and restructuring service delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment