Tuesday 14 August 2012

Thing 13

This “Thing” has been all about collaboration in a virtual context which I think is really cool and hope that in the future I will get the opportunity to with other people outside of my immediate working environment.

Coloured swirls on a black background
In A Whisper by /\lex on Flickr
(available for use under the Creative
 Commons Licence).
However I don’t think on a personal level  that I can justify getting to grips with either Google Docs or Dropbox at the moment. This is because  I have found that Evernote (which I encountered in Thing 9, and really love) satisfies my current needs in respect of online document organisation and storage.

At work we already have a virtual drive on which all documents created by the tram are stored thereby negating the need to use products such as Google Docs and Dropbox. However I can see that it would be useful for people to use when working on collaborative projects especially where they don’t have access to any common storage or file-sharing facility.

Whereas I can see that wikis have more potential (and I really enjoyed the "Wikis in plain English" video that Jennifer reccomended). For example my library service has recently undergone a major staffing restructure which has not only resulted in the loss of several very experienced (and knowledgeable)  members  of staff and the remaining staff being relocated across college (thereby making them geographically-remote from each other) but will also involve several new people joining the team, Therefore I feel that using wikis  as a means to share service knowledge and general information would be something that I would like to pursue actively.

No comments:

Post a Comment