Monday 16 July 2012

Thing 11

When thinking about mentors and being mentored  for this latest “Thing” I do agree with Meg Westbury’s comment that the mentoring experiences can be “immensely rewarding and beneficial”.

Julia's dad's Blue Moon Rose by avlxyz
 oin Flickr (available for use  under
 the Creative Commons Liecence).  
Although I have not expereinced any form of formal mentoring during the course of my working life I have been fortunate enough to encounter a number of people who have acted as my  informal mentors. These people not only  shared their professional knowledge and expertise with me but also offeed their unconditional support and  encouragement, as well as the odd “kick up the backside”!

Like several others, whose blog postings on this subject I have read recently, I am not sure if I am missing out by not having someone who I can call my mentor. Also I feel that as I am still fairly new to the profession, if I did have a mentor would I be able to make good use of their time and have anything worth sharing professionally?

However given the current situation in UK libraries many of the people who I would seriously consider as potential mentor material are leaving the sector en masse (either through voluntary redundancy or early retirement).

Is it possible to self-mentor I wonder…

No comments:

Post a Comment